Friday 21 March 2014

Estee Lauder Double Wear Stay in Place Makeup

Estee Lauder Double Wear became a cult foundation because it is extremely long lasting and non-transfer. It is the definition of a matte foundation and for this reason many people with dry skin dislike it. However, as a person with dry to very dry skin I still love this foundation and I think it all comes down to application technique.




THE FORMULA:
I started using this foundation just this year so I am not familiar with the old formula and therefore cannot compare between the two. I am VERY IMPRESSED with the current formula but I can relate to those reviewers who have complained that the formula is too thick and too fast-drying. I also find it to be rather tacky for some time after application. It also makes by beautyblender sticky so I do find that after applying the initial coat with one beautyblender I have to use a fresh beatyblender to do my blending. Nevertheless it does dry to a powder finish and leaves you with a flawless SOLID MEDIUM to FULL COVERAGE result.


 


THE COLOR RANGE:
There is a very generous color range. Cool, Neutral and Yellow skin tones are all catered for and women of color will have no problem finding the perfect shade, even here in Australia the counter stocks a great selection.

My best match ever in foundation has been STROMBOLI in Nars Sheer Glow so I tried to match it as closely as possible when I was choosing my Double Wear shade.

I find that this foundation does oxidise to at least half a shade darker than its actual color. I originally purchased 3W1 TAWNY but after experiencing oxidization and darkening I went back to the Estee Lauder counter at Myer and purchased 2W2 Rattan. I currently mix the two for my perfect shade or use 2W2 alone with bronzer.

Here is a comparison with Nars Stromboli, from left to right: Tawny, Stromboli, Rattan.
 

As you can see Tawny is more beige than yellow and has a slight redness to it. Meanwhile Stromboli and Rattan have strong yellow undertones.

Here are the three swatched on my hand, from top to bottom: Rattan, Stromboli, Tawny.


The difference is so subtle on my hand but on application it is more obvious.


THE APPLICATION:
I used a beautyblender to apply this foundation because I have dry sensitive skin and cannot buff product onto my face because it will cause flaking and irritation. I applied very well and dried to a beautyful POWDER FINISH. Although this product is marketed at oily skin, I have very DRY SKIN and it work well for me provided I have moisturised well.

NB The thickness and HIGHLY PIGMENTED nature of this foundation caused permanent stains on my beautyblender :(

STAYING POWER:
The longevity of this foundation is SECOND TO NONE. I have very noticeable laughlines which often catch product and leave very noticeable lines however to my delight this foundation did not crease at my laugh lines! I was wearing the TOO FACED Primed and Poreless underneath which I do with all my foundations. I believe the staying power of this particular foundation is superior irrespective of the fact that I had a primer on. Not untill the 6th hour did I notice any shine on my nose.
This foundation did not transfer onto any clothing which came into contact with it! It does not transfer even the slightest hint of product and that is a huge plus for me because I wear a lot of white.


THE VERDICT:
Given this is a high-end foundation the $50 AUD price tag is very reasonable!
I will be buying this product over and over again! It is an excellent foundation for evening or special occasions.

NB Product will oxidize and become darker I suggest you purchase one shade lighter than your skin tone.

DUPE:
If you would prefer a drugstore alternative, Revlon Colorstay is said to be a dupe of this foundation. I have only tried Colorstay on the back of my hand so I cannot confirm or refute this claim.

The consistency did seem relatively similar though. I will purchase and review it in future.

No comments:

Post a Comment